Technology from Honeywell International Inc. (U.S.) to Run Largest Refinery in Africa
May 19, 2015
Honeywell process technology, catalysts and proprietary equipment will form the basis for the largest refinery in Africa, reducing Nigeria's dependence on imported fuels and petrochemicals. Dangote Oil Refining Company selected UOP technology for a world-scale integrated refinery and petrochemical plant to be built in Lekki, near the capital of Lagos in southwestern Nigeria.
In addition to processing crude oil to produce high-quality gasoline, diesel and jet fuel that meet Euro V specifications for reduced emissions, the new facility will produce world-scale quantities of polypropylene, a key petrochemical used in plastics and packaging. UOP technologies at this facility will include:
- The UOP Resid Fluid Catalytic Cracking process: To produce transportation fuels from crude oil. It will also supply propylene, which will be used as a feedstock for polypropylene.
- The CCR Platforming': To process high-octane gasoline blending components.
- The Unicracking': To produce diesel.
- The Penex': To process high-octane gasoline.
- The crude distillation unit (CDU) design, which will be provided by UOP's alliance partner, Process Consulting Services
“UOP has been designing state-of-the-art refineries and petrochemical plants for more than a century, so we are well-equipped to help Nigeria develop a massive new installation to meet its domestic needs,” said Pete Piotrowski, senior vice president and general manager of UOP's Process, Technology and Equipment business. “This project will enable Dangote to improve Nigeria's oil refining capabilities, reduce the country's dependence on imports, and work to revive and transform the Nigerian economy.”