Five Ways to Bring Hygge Home
February 27, 2017
The Danish may have discovered the secret to happiness with hygge.
The word was one of the runners up for Oxford Dictionary's word of the year, but it's our favorite.
Pronounced “hoo-ga,” there's no English equivalent, but it translates to “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).”
Contentment and well-being? Here are some simple ways to cozy up your home, hygge-style:
1. Light things up: The charm and sparkle of tiny LED fairy lights adds a delightful glow that will make you smile. Set them to work with a smart switch to control them from the couch.
2. Enjoy a read: Nothing is as comforting as spending time with a new book, download “The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living” or one of our latest discoveries, Scandinavian Comfort Food, to your Kindle.
3. Add some honey: We're probably biased, but science says that the chemicals in honey can have a positive impact on mood. Put it in tea or drizzle on fresh bread for maximum comfort.
4. Snuggle up with socks: Don't suffer with exposed toes. Try wool socks and on extra-chilly days, slip into a pair of apr√®s-ski boots to lounge in, like some from Muck Boots.
5. Find the perfect temperature: Always come home to heat &endash; and save money when you're away &endash; with our Lyric thermostats that can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet.