Everything You Need To Know About Demand Response
August 15, 2017
Demand response can help. Working with your utility, this energy management program gives you the option to cut your energy usage during high demand in exchange for a reduced monthly bill.
What is Demand Response: During heat waves and winter deep freezes, everybody turns on their a/c or heaters which puts a huge strain on your utility company (the energy grid) and can cause blackouts and brownouts.
To reduce strain on the grid, some utilities will pay you to reduce electricity usage during peak demand times, automatically through demand response programs.
When it happens: Peak demand typically occurs from noon to 4 to 7 p.m. on extremely hot (80 degrees) or cold days (-60 degrees).
How Demand Response works:
• Before: Based on past usage patterns, your utility company can predict that on the day ahead it may not be able to deliver power in the amount its customers expect so they announce a demand response event to participants. If you’ve signed up, you receive a notification by phone or e-mail a day before and again on the morning of a demand response event.
• During: Your house is pre-cooled right before peak demand hours and then your air conditioning uses just enough energy to keep you comfortable during late afternoon, decreasing the demand placed on the grid.
• After: Once peak period is over, your house goes back to being cooled normally.
• What if you’re hot: If you’re in a voluntary demand response program, you have the option to change the temperature on your thermostat at any time to override the demand response event.
How to sign up for Demand Response:
• Go to your energy provider’s website and select your state or visit Honeywell Demand Response to find utilities that are offering demand response programs
• Find an eligible Honeywell smart programmable thermostat or bring your own smart thermostat to the program
• Select an available offer or rebate program best suited to you and contact your energy provider’s help desk to sign up
• To find out how to save more in your area please visit yourhome.honeywell.com/rebates
• Watch this video to know more about demand response