When two volunteer EMTs stopped to grab dinner at a Long Island restaurant before work, they had no idea they’d save more than 100 lives before they even clocked in. As they scanned their menus, Justin Gau and Kyle Page heard the Honeywell carbon monoxide (CO) meters on their radio bands begin to buzz. The two were struck with disbelief as their units showed CO readings of 60-65 parts per million inside the busy restaurant, twice the acceptable limit. Gau and Page immediately alerted management and successfully evacuated the building before anyone was overcome by the silent, lethal gas. In a single instance, their CO detection gear was the difference between life and death for more than 100 unwitting diners.
In January 2015 in West Islip, NY, EMTs who stopped for breakfast at a local bagel store were heroes as well when their Honeywell CO meters alerted them that the dangerous gas was building up inside the store. They alerted the owner, who evacuated the store and worked with fire marshals to trace the leak to an oven pipe.
Known as “The Silent Killer,” CO – a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness and even death – is often found looming above the air, lurking idly in the background of places we visit every day. CO gas forms primarily when carbon fuels are not burned completely. These emissions come from mobile sources such as motor vehicles and engine exhaust, but also non-mobile sources such as industrial equipment, process machinery, and consumer products including faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, on average, about 170 people in the United States die every year from CO gas produced by non-automotive consumer products. Statistics in other countries where there are lesser regulations are even more dire.
Though there are state laws and regulations in place to help protect against the harms of ingesting CO emissions, gaps in policy and pending legislation leave some communities at risk. For example, the State of New York recently passed legislation requiring CO detector installation in restaurants. The bill calls for regulators to draft and implement installation standards and a final compliance date by May 2015. But in the meantime, many other states have yet to enact similar legislation.
Honeywell gas monitors are developed for a wide range of applications: commercial buildings, industrial sites, laboratories and government operations such as NASA, the Coast Guard, and Homeland Defense. Where gas is generated as part of a process or a by-product of it, gas detection usually is needed.
The newest generation of Honeywell gas monitors is designed by global engineering teams and certified for applications around the world. The gas monitors are easy to use and deploy, with innovative features such as wireless connectivity and intelligent data-gathering. The company’s range of carbon monoxide detectors is typical of the company’s offerings: available in single-gas or multi-gas sensing, portable or fixed-mount application. Honeywell gas monitors protect people and the environment; they also enhance business productivity and profitability.
Honeywell Donates CO Detectors to Long Island First Responders
First responders like Justin Gau and Kyle Page are a critical resource for every community, and the tools and technology that help them do their job to protect citizens can make all the difference. In the event of an emergency situation, first responders do not know the state of the environment they are entering, nor do they always have time to assess it. Portable CO detection devices can mean the difference between life and death when CO gas leaks occur.
This past December, Honeywell outfitted Gau and Page’s team at Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps. with a donation of Honeywell portable carbon monoxide detection devices. The contribution came at the perfect time for the Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, as the potential for CO leaks is higher during winter due to increased use of heating systems, leaving people at greater risk of being exposed.
Watch Tom Lowenberg, Chief of the Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corp. accept the donation.
Learn more about how to select the right gas detection solution for your needs.