HELSINKI, Finland, June 11, 2015 Honeywell (NYSE:HON) Process Solutions (HPS) today announced that Europe's largest pulp, board and paper manufacturer will use HPS process automation, safety system and manufacturing optimization technologies to modernize one of its key mills and help it meet rising demand for renewable packaging board.
Stora Enso Oyj is implementing Honeywell's technologies as part of a modernization and optimization effort at their paper mill in Varkaus, Finland. Headquartered in Helsinki, Stora Enso is the largest pulp, board and paper producer in Europe, and one of the largest in the world.
HPS is a major supplier of automation and control technologies to the paper industry and its technology can be found in more than 2,000 sites worldwide.
"Stora Enso's business objective is to produce and deliver the highest quality paper and board products in the world, and Honeywell's portfolio of technologies will help them reach this goal safely, reliably and efficiently," said Ali Raza, vice president, HPS. "We have worked with Stora Enso for about 40 years and I am pleased that Honeywell can help them modernize this facility."
The Stora Enso project coincides with conversion of the facility to produce kraftliner, a virgin-fiber-based containerboard. Globally, the company produces a number of products, including about 5.6 million tons of chemical pulp, 10.9 million tons of paper and board, and 14 billion square feet of corrugated packaging.
- Migrating the plant from its previous control system to Honeywell's Experion® PKS (Process Knowledge System), which unifies people, processes, assets and business needs by having one unified architecture for process control, safety systems and automation software.
- Experion Process, Machinery and Drives (PMD) controllers, which use a single, consistent set of engineering tools for lower capital costs and more cost-effective execution of production line and plant-wide control.
- Uniformance® Process History Database (PHD), which helps users make better and faster decisions with superior data management, higher data security and reliability, and lower total cost of ownership.
- Safety Manager, which integrates process safety data, applications, system diagnostics and critical control strategies, and executes defined safety applications in a fully redundant architecture.
- OptiVision® Manufacturing Execution System (MES), an advanced order-to-cash solution designed to help pulp and paper companies and flat sheet manufacturers address critical issues determining profitability.
For more information about Honeywell's automation solutions please visit: www.honeywellprocess.com
Honeywell Process Solutions (www.honeywellprocess.com
) is a pioneer in automation control, instrumentation and services for the oil and gas; refining; pulp and paper; industrial power generation; chemicals and petrochemicals; biofuels; life sciences; and metals, minerals and mining industries. Process Solutions is part of Honeywell's Performance Materials and Technologies strategic business group, which also includes UOP, a leading international supplier and licensor of process technology, catalysts, adsorbents, equipment, and consulting services to the petroleum refining, petrochemical, and gas processing industries.
) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com?
are registered trademarks of Honeywell International Inc.