Connected Aircraft Lifts Off: Honeywell's 'Power Of Connected' World Tour Coming To A City Near You
May 25, 2017
PHOENIX, May 25, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Grab your leather jacket and pack a bag, because the summer's most unlikely rock tour is taking place 35,000 feet overhead. Honeywell (NYSE: HON) will soon launch its "Power of Connected" world tour to showcase its latest technology, applications and services for aircraft. The set list includes an inside look at how Honeywell is enabling the Connected Aircraft to improve flights for pilots, passengers and flight operators alike. It's a lot more than rock and roll, and we sure like it.
This first-of-its-kind tour kicks off at San Francisco International Airport on Wednesday, May 31 – 50 years after the "Summer of Love" defined a generation in the same city. Honeywell's own Summer of Connected will continue in more than a dozen countries across the globe over several months. While only a few hundred VIPs will have the chance to travel on the Honeywell 757, scores of fans can be a part of the tour anytime at www.HoneywellRocks.com.
"For us, there's nothing more heavy metal than creating a more comfortable flight for passengers, with less turbulence, fewer delays and better high-speed internet," said Kristin Slyker, vice president, Connected Aircraft, Honeywell Aerospace. "We're using data to avoid bad weather and better prepare pilots, and we're striving to get rid of maintenance delays with technology that can predict problems before they happen."
The Power of Connected Tour Experience
In anticipation of the tour, Honeywell has debuted a new livery on its 757 to showcase the capabilities of the Connected Aircraft. Passengers will get VIP passes to experience how Honeywell is combining hardware and software to create the Connected Aircraft.
Here are some of the technologies taking center stage:
- Honeywell's GoDirect Flight Preview application giving pilots a highly accurate, three-dimensional preview of the runway and surrounding terrain before they take off.
- GoDirect Weather is an information service that gives pilots real-time weather data on the flight path, allowing them to plan the safest, most efficient routes possible. Thunderstorms are super rock and roll, but safety first. A new connected radar function will provide crowdsourced weather information from other airplanes in the sky and share that information through an application, giving an accurate view of the weather around the world.
- Honeywell's GoDirect Cabin Connectivity offers a comprehensive suite of satellite communication services and solutions to deliver unparalleled connectivity and functionality. This includes access to more than a dozen GoDirect apps and services, as well as real-time TV, TV on demand, high-speed broadband Internet, Video Conferencing, Email and Voice Over IP.
- Honeywell's JetWave system enables passengers to connect to Inmarsat's GX Aviation service, offering seamless global broadband access that provides the same internet speed and reliability they get at home or in the office - it's better than a backstage pass!
- GoDirect Fuel Efficiency software collects, monitors and analyzes data to help operators optimize fuel efficiency across a fleet. As a result, pilots have access to the most fuel-efficient flight paths to reduce the amount of fuel they use.
- Honeywell's GoDirect Connected Maintenance will help airlines be smarter, more efficient and predictive in the way they maintain their fleets. Airlines now no longer need to reactively fix mechanical systems like auxiliary power units or wheels and brakes. With Honeywell's GoDirect Connected Maintenance, airlines proactively troubleshoot mechanical issues to avoid aircraft downtime. They get the data they need to be more efficient to keep flights on time and passengers happy.
The Power of Connected world tour will travel to cities throughout the United States, Europe and Asia. The first leg culminates with a starring role at the Paris Air Show. The Honeywell 757 will give VIP flights in the following cities:
- San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, May 31
- Dallas Love Field, Dallas, June 1
- LaGuardia Airport, New York, June 9
- London Stansted Airport, June 16
- Paris Air Show, Paris, France, June 17-20
The second leg in July will include stops in Dubai, Beijing, Tokyo and several other cities.
"We've been helping airplanes connect since U2 came on the scene, and now we're connecting aircraft in more insightful and powerful ways. We're taking the aerospace industry into the digital age, and most importantly, making flight better," said Slyker.
- Track Honeywell's Power of Connected world tour at www.HoneywellRocks.com
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter and use the hashtag #HoneywellRocks
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com/us/en or follow us at @Honeywell Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com/us/en) is a Fortune 100 software-industrial company that delivers industry specific solutions that include aerospace and automotive products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help everything from aircraft, cars, homes and buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/us/en/news.