Honeywell Unveils Updated Suite of Solutions to Optimize Airport Safety and Efficiency
- Integrated ramp management system paired with cyber-secure airfield solutions provides enhanced arrival readiness, docking process support, turnaround and departure management
- Smart visual docking system allows for more precise and informed decision-making across gate operations
May 10, 2023
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, May 10, 2023 – Honeywell (NASDAQ: HON) today announced the launch of an updated suite of airside solutions, boasting enhancements to its gate and turnaround and airfield lighting portfolios, including the Honeywell NAVITAS™ Smart Visual Docking system. To help airports maintain a smoother traveler experience amidst increasing air traffic, the latest solutions help optimize gate operations and improve situational awareness for pilots and airside operations teams, resulting in faster turnaround times for aircraft. The latest solutions were unveiled at the 2023 Airport Show in Dubai.
As the number of air travelers continues to increasei, the air travel industry needs continued innovation to keep up with the demand. However, the industry has faced a shortage of staff since pandemic conditions started, like air traffic controllers, with 1,200ii fewer controllers today than a decade ago. These challenges are reflected in on-time departure rates of less than 70%iii for U.S. flights in December 2022.
“Honeywell provides the latest technology solutions that help airports be more resilient, efficient and sustainable, topics that are more critical than ever as we approach the busy summer travel season,” Alex Cowen, general manager, Global Airports, Honeywell Building Technologies. “The Honeywell solutions are designed to meet the challenges that impede efficiency and safety, such as ramp obstacles, adverse weather conditions, maintenance and management of gate downtime and capacity optimization like airport congestion.”
The expanded range of solutions include:
- Smart Visual Docking system: Incorporates advanced technologies such as sensor data fusion using AI/ML-based video and LIDAR, multi-color ramp information display, obstacle detection and wingtip collision prevention, all-gate layouts, all-weather capability, low-to-no maintenance and robust cybersecurity features.
- Turnaround Manager: Offers a user-friendly browser-based user interface for controller and maintenance, AI/ML-based turnaround analytics, flexible deployment options, cybersecurity measures and an API-based interface for more seamless integration with third-party systems.
- Single Lamp Control & Monitoring System (ASDv5 SVL): Provides a cyber-secure platform that supports both halogen and LED lights and is IEC 62870 compliant.
- Safety Voltage Limiter (SVL): An adaptor that is used to limit the voltage output from a transformer to less than 50VAC to help reduce the risk of electrical shock and improve safety for maintenance engineers during maintenance activities.
- Loop Sensor: Offers localized and cyber-secure detection of various types of aircraft and vehicles, estimates their velocity and direction up to 4,000 meters away, and is capable of functioning in all weather conditions.
To learn more about Honeywell’s latest solutions, please click here.
About Honeywell Building Technologies
Honeywell Building Technologies (HBT) is transforming the way every building operates to help improve the quality of life. We are a leading building controls company with operations in more than 75 countries supported by a global channel partner network. Commercial building owners and operators use our hardware, software and analytics to help create safe, efficient and productive facilities. Our solutions and services are used in more than 10 million buildings worldwide.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com/us/en) delivers industry specific solutions that include aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help aircraft, buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/us/en/news.
i Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Full Year 2022 U.S. Airline Traffic Data, March 16, 2023 [Accessed May 3, 2023]
ii U.S. Travel Association, Mia Taylor, US Travel Association Predicts Summer Travel Boom and Plenty of Challenges, April 27, 2023 [Accessed May 3, 2023]
iii Axios, Alex Fitzpatrick, Airlines' summer stress test, March 23, 2023 [Accessed May 3, 2023]